Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Tension Resolution Technique on "Autumn Leaves"

Had a little time today before a class at Berklee. Practicing some improvisation with the concept of Tension Resolution on Autumn Leaves. With this concept I'm focusing on using one tension and chord tones for each chord change and making to sure to resolve the tension to the nearest chord tone. It is a simple but effective improv technique that sounds the changes with a melodic flow. I'm playing 8 measures out front to establish the context of the song. Please see attached PDF for more information.

The Tension Resolution concept is extensively addressed in a specific chapter in my improv book The Complete Guide To Improvisation. The book is available on Amazon and my website. More information is available on my website and FB page The Complete Guide To Improvisation.

Here is the Tension Chart, Transcription & Explanatory Notes

Autumn Leaves (Tension Chart & Transcription)



1 comment: